How To Make Money on Instagram
#1 – Sponsored posts
In our “How to make Money on Instagram” series, Gram To Grands explores the various ways Instagram users are making big bucks on the platform.
This information isn’t just for your own interest, you can copy the exact methods below and start generating income from Instagram today.
Get paid by brands to do sponsored posts
What are “sponsored Instagram posts”?
Sponsored Instagram posts are any posts or Stories published on Instagram where the account owner has been paid by a brand, business or individual to promote a message or product. These posts often carry the #sponsored hashtag.
Why do people pay for sponsored posts on Instagram?
Whether it is a brand, business or individual, anybody who sells a product or service online needs to get people’s attention and traffic to their website.
Although they could build an audience themselves, it is often easier to buy a shoutout or promotion from someone who already has a large Instagram audience or following – an “influencer”.
An influencer is basically anyone who’s built themselves an online reputation by doing and sharing awesome things online. To their audiences, influencers are tastemakers, trendsetters and trusted experts whose opinions about certain subjects are respected.
Many brands just can’t compete with that and so they partner with influencers instead and pay them to do a sponsored Instagram post that help get the word out about their products.
How to Decide What to Charge as an Influencer
Typically these influencer deals involve the creation of content—an Instagram post or video—and will include permission for the brand to use this content on their own site or in an ad.
Most of these deals are negotiable and can involve a single post or an entire campaign in exchange for a fee, a free product, a service, a gift, the promise of exposure, or some combination of these.
Keep in mind when negotiating that you’re not just offering content but access to your audience, a potentially large reach on one of the most popular social platforms around, and usage rights too.
In a survey of 5,000 influencers, around 42% said they charged $200 to $400 per Instagram post—just to give you an idea of what some brands are willing to pay, and how to negotiate based on the cards you’re holding.
How to find people that will pay you to do a Sponsored Post
If you have a large enough Instagram account, chances are brands will find you. But you can also look for brands to work with that are on a similar level in terms of personality and values, so your audience won’t feel like you’re “selling out”.
You can reach out to them directly to try to work out a deal, but you can also list yourself on one of the many influencer marketplaces out there to increase your chances of being discovered:
- Shoutcart: Sell a “shout out” to your audience on behalf of a brand, regardless of how large your following is.
- Fohr Card: Connect your Instagram, blog, YouTube channel, and other social platforms to create an influencer “card” that shows your different profiles and total reach for brands shopping around for a partnership. You also get access to a list of brands and their wants, so you can take the initiative to reach out too.
- Grapevine: If you have 5000 or more followers, you can list yourself in the Grape Vine marketplace for the opportunity to work with like-minded brands.
- Crowd Tap: Do small content creation tasks to earn rewards. This is great if you’ve got a smaller audience. Available in the U.S only.
- indaHash: Brands put up campaigns that you can participate in. Post a picture with the specified hashtags on Instagram and get paid. You need 700 engaged followers to be eligible.
The rules vary when it comes to sponsored content, but to be on the safe side and respect your audience’s trust, consider adding a #sponsored hashtag to indicate sponsored posts. If you need reassurance, about 69% of influencers in one report said that being transparent about sponsorships didn’t affect how consumers perceive their recommendation.
You can find examples of sponsored posts and how Instagrammers integrate brands into their story by searching up #sponsored on Instagram.
How to get started making money with Instagram Sponsored posts:
- Create a themed Instagram account
Think of a particular theme (e.g. sports, food, cars) or niche (veganism, crossfit, steampunk) or product (fidget spinners, matcha tea, astroturf) that is popular. Use Google Trends if you want to work out which topics are trending and what search terms are increasing at the moment (use this to work out what people are prepared to buy).
- Grow your audience to at least 5,000 followers
The next step is to grow your Instagram audience. If you’re not sure how, read our “Need more help?” section below.
- Start approaching brands, businesses and individuals for Sponsored Post
Once you have a sizeable engaged audience, use the services listed above (Shoutcart, Crowd Tap, etc) to find people that will pay you to post a sponsored Instagram Post.
You can also approach people yourself who you think would benefit from having their product in front of your audience: find their email addresses, introduce yourself, link to your Instagram account, and give them your rate for a Sponsored Post.
Need more help?
Gram To Grams has a variety of ways to make it easier for you to make money on Instagram:
- Download our free Ebook: “10 Ways to Make 10K in 10 Days on Instagram”
- Book a consultation with a Gram To Grands Instagram coach
- Take our Infamous To Influential Instagram course
- Buy the top Instagram Marketing guide for Kindle at Amazon